A Solo Exhibition by Pande I Made Dwi Artha
TiTian Art Space, 2 Sep – 15 Oct 2017
Pande I Made Dwi Artha (b. 1998) is a young Batuan artist with an acute sense of the socio-political environment and its impact on him and his fellow Balinese and Indonesians. He comes from a long-line of artists. He apprenticed at a very young age (9) with his father, I Ketut Kenur, and learned traditional Batuan painting techniques from him. At only 19 years of age, he shows remarkable interest in the rich tradition of Balinese story telling and the Vedic philosophy of life.
His wide range of interests and precocious sensibilities have allowed him to articulate his day-to-day observations and thoughts on the world around him, through his paintings. He gives expression and interpretation using traditional iconic symbolism and a modern, refreshing approach to classic story telling tradition for the millennial generation.
He started exhibiting his work in 2010 (at age 12 ) at the Museum Puri Lukisan. A turning point came in 2015, when he was challenged to create Batuan paintings with modern themes to express issues for the new millennium. He came up with Vacation on the Moon exhibited at the Museum Puri Lukisan in 2015.
AWAKENING represents his solo debut. These nine new works, created in 2016 and 2017, can be divided into four distinct themes:
- Balinese Folklore, with Heavenly Birds
- Hindu Epic tales (The Mahabharata), with Crown of Triumph and Journey to Nirvana
- Vedic Philosophy, with Three Colors, Three Binding Forces, and Bad Dream
- Socio-political / Satire, with Unity in diversity, People are My Toys, and Game Over
- 2010 Batuan group exhibition, Museum Puri Lukisan, Ubud, Bali
- 2011 Batuan group exhibition, Museum Seni Lukis Batuan, Batuan, Bali
- 2015 Batuan group exhibition, Museum Puri Lukisan, Ubud, Bali
- 2016 Rwa Bhineda, TiTian Art Space, Ubud, Bali
- 2017 Awakening – a Solo exhibition, TiTian Art Space, Ubud, Bali